Dear Savvy Senior,

I have heard that the VA has a benefit that can help veterans and spouses with long-term care costs. We recently had to move my 86-year-old father — who served in the Army nearly 60 years ago — into an assisted living facility, and my mom isn’t far behind. Can the VA help?

– Seeking Aid


Dear Seeking,

The Veterans Administration does indeed have a little-known, underutilized benefit that can help wartime veterans and their surviving spouses pay for a variety of long-term care costs.

This benefit, called “Aid and Attendance,” is a special pension that’s paid in addition to a basic pension. It pays a maximum of $2,230 a month to married veterans; $1,881 a month to single veterans; or $1,209 a month to a surviving spouse.

The money is tax free and can be used to pay for in-home care, assisted living, and nursing home care.

Today, only around 230,000 veterans and survivors receive Aid and Attendance, but millions more are eligible and either don’t know about it or don’t think they can qualify for it.


Eligibility Requirements

To qualify, your dad must have served at least 90 days of active military service with at least one day of service during a period of war, and he must not have been discharged dishonorably.

Single surviving spouses of wartime vets are eligible if their marriage ended due to death.

In addition, your dad will also have to meet certain thresholds for medical and financial need to be eligible.

To qualify medically, he must be either disabled or over the age of 65 and need help with basic everyday living tasks, such as eating, dressing, bathing, or going to the bathroom. Being blind or in a nursing home or assisted living facility due to mental disability also qualifies him.

Single surviving spouses have no age restrictions, but they must require help with basic everyday living tasks to be eligible.

To qualify financially, your parents must have limited assets, under $127,061, excluding their home, vehicle, and personal belongings.

And their annual income (minus medical and long-term care expenses) cannot exceed the Maximum Allowable Pension Rate (MAPR), which, in 2019, is $26,766 for a veteran and their spouse, $22,577 for a single veteran, and $14,509 for a surviving spouse.

To calculate your parents’ income qualifications, add up their income over the past year (including Social Security, pensions, interest income from investments, annuities, etc.), minus any out-of-pocket medical expenses, prescription drugs, insurance premiums, and long-term care costs over that same period of time.

If the final tally is under the MAPR, and your dad meets the other requirements, he should be eligible for aid.


How to Apply

To learn more, or to apply for Aid and Attendance, contact your regional VA benefit office (see or call (800) 827-1000), where you can apply in person. In eastern Pennsylvania, that is the Philadelphia Regional Office at (800) 827-1000.

You can also apply by writing the Pension Management Center at:


Department of Veterans Affairs

Claims Intake Center

Attention: Philadelphia Pension Center

P.O. Box 5206

Janesville, WI 53547-5206


You’ll need to include evidence, like VA Form 21-2680 (, which your dad’s doctor can fill out and shows his need for Aid and Attendance.

If you need some help, you can appoint a veteran service officer, a VA-accredited attorney, or a claims agent to represent your dad. See to locate someone.

If your dad is eligible, it will take between six and 12 months for his application to be processed, so be patient.

You should also know that if your dad’s Aid and Attendance application is approved, the VA will send a lump-sum retroactive payment covering the time from the day you filed the application until the day it was approved. Then your dad receives monthly payments going forward.


Send your senior questions to: Savvy Senior, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070, or visit Jim Miller is a contributor to the NBC Today show and author of The Savvy Senior book.

Have questions?

We are just a click away!