The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Lebanon VA Medical Center announced that healthcare eligibility for certain Vietnam, Gulf War, and post-9/11 veterans was widely expanded on Oct. 1.
President Biden signed the PACT Act into law on Aug. 10, authorizing one of the largest healthcare and benefits expansions in VA history.
“This expansion will bring generations of new veterans into VA healthcare and increase the healthcare benefits of many more, which will result in the one outcome that matters most: better health outcomes for veterans,” Robert W. Callahan Jr., CEO and director, said.
Vietnam-era veterans who served in the following locations and time periods are eligible to apply for enrollment now:
- Service in the Republic of Vietnam between Jan. 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975
- Service in Thailand at any U.S. or Royal Thai base between Jan. 9, 1962, and June 30, 1976
- Service in Laos between Dec. 1, 1965, and Sept. 30, 1969
- Service in certain provinces in Cambodia between April 16, 1969, and April 30, 1969
- Service in Guam or American Samoa (or their territorial waters) between Jan. 9, 1962, and July 30, 1980
- Service in Johnston Atoll (or a ship that called there) between Jan. 1, 1972, and Sept. 30, 1977
Gulf War Veterans
Gulf War veterans who served on active duty in a theater of combat operations after the Persian Gulf War may now be eligible to enroll in VA healthcare.
This includes veterans who, in connection with service during such period, received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Service Specific Expeditionary Medal, Combat Era Specific Expeditionary Medal, Campaign Specific Medal, or any other combat theater award established by federal statute or executive order.
Post-9/11 veterans who did not previously enroll in VA healthcare now have a one-year window in which they may be eligible to enroll if they:
- Served on active duty in a theater of combat operations during a period of war after the Persian Gulf War
- Served in a combat against a hostile force during a period of hostilities after Nov. 11, 1998
- Were discharged or released between Sept. 11, 2001, and Oct. 1, 2013
Veterans can visit va.gov/PACT to get the latest information and updates.
Veterans interested in enrolling in VA healthcare should call (717) 228-6000 to schedule an appointment.