Social Security News: Representative Payees Can Report Online

Doris Brookens | Oct 24, 2012, 6 a.m.

People who serve as representative payees for individuals who receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits have more options for their annual reporting of how the funds are used.

Representatives, who in the past had to complete a paper representative payee reporting form each year, can report online using the secure website www.socialsecurity.gov/payee.

A representative payee is someone who receives Social Security or SSI payments on behalf of a person who is not capable of managing their funds on their own. Representative payees must use the funds for the benefit of the person entitled to benefits. For example, a payee must use the funds to provide the beneficiary with food, clothing, and shelter.

If you receive a representative payee accounting form to complete, you can take your form to your computer instead of a Social Security office.

If it’s your first time using this service, you’ll need to take a few minutes to register. Once you do, please keep your identification and password in a secure place. You can use it to submit reports in future years.

When you’re ready to complete the report online, you’ll need to key in the unique code that appears on the paper form you received in the mail. Then you’ll be able to key in the rest of the information. Online features make completing the report easier than doing it on paper.

Once you submit the report, you’ll receive a confirmation number as proof that your report was received by Social Security.

It’s as easy as that—no paper to fill out by hand, no visits to make, no envelopes to stuff.

If you have questions about registering for this service, call (800) 775-7802. If you are an organizational payee, call (800) 772-6270. For all other questions, use the regular toll-free number, (800) 772-1213 (TTY (800) 325-0778).

Doris Brookens is the Social Security office manager in Harrisburg.

Editor's Picks

Most Recent